Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Photo blog as process

Here are a few images from current exhibitions that interest me:

1)  Edward Weston's, (American, 1886–1958). Rubber Dummies, Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios, Hollywood. 1939, The Original Copy: Photography of Sculpture, 1839 to Today, "The Pygmalion Complex: Animate and Inanimate Figures"  at the Museum of Modern Art, August 1–November 1, 2010

   I love this image because it is very different from any of Weston's photographs that I have been exposed to in my career as an art student. 





 
2) From Kurt Tong's, "In Case it Rains in Heaven" and "Memories, Dreams; Interrupted," exhibition at the Photofusion gallery in LOndon, UK.  July 30 - September 26, 2010.
 
   
 



   The "Rains" series fascinates me for two reasons.  One, I like the way that he has chosen to photographeach object; like a portrait.  This gives each its own importance and personality. Two, I am currently interested in how Western society is impacting Eastern (in this case Chinese) culture and traditions. 
 
  
3) "I AM A MAN" Ernest C. Withers, Sanitation Workers Assemble in Front of Clayborn Temple for a Solidarity March, Memphis, Tennessee, March 28, 1968. From the,"For all the World To See: Visual Culture and the Struggle for Civil Rights" exhibition at the International Center of Photography, May 21 - September 12, 2010.
  
   





   I have included this photograph because of my interest in socially important and historically significant photographs.


Here are three of my recent photographs:

1) "First day", 2010



   This photograph is inspiring to me partially because it is my son on his very first day of school, but also because it could represent any young child facing an unfamiliar path.  His identity is obscurred being that his back is to the viewer.  He bravely forges ahead along the path of life. 


2) "Red River Canyon, WY", 2010


   The vibrant red of the canyon walls against the jewelled-green valley floor simply called out to be photographed.  I had to stop the car, jump out and photograph it!  The multiple diagonal lines lead the eye through the image, and give it a sense of energy.

3) "Mountain seen from the Snowy Range Scenic Byway, WY," 2010


   I loved this image that I shot because of its almost painting-like quality.  Being largely unfamiliar with the practice of taking great landscape shots, I decided to try it.  I welcome any comments, and suggestions.

1 comment: